Saturday, March 14, 2015

UMass Boston Student LGBT / Queer Center Needs To Be More Visible

When I attended the University of Massachusetts Boston. I was there a whole year before I realized there was a Students Queer Center.  I honestly didn't spend a lot of time roaming around campus in between classes or asking around - looking.  At the time I was still in the closet and doing so would mean exposing myself.  That wasn't something I was ready for.  One thing that might of made me more comfortable was knowing somewhere on campus were people that understood what I was going through and were ready to welcome me, when I was ready.

"It is our intent to provide a friendly, comfortable destination for all LGBTQQ people, their straight allies and those who choose not to label themselves and to continue to build a platform from which individual students can reach out into the campus community and beyond to effect change and betterment for all. (1/2011)"   -  3-14-15 From the UMass Boston Queer Student Center Mission Statement

UMass Boston has a great mission, but I think there needs to be more energy behind reaching out to others in the campus community and beyond.  The Student Queer Center needs a stronger web presence and more events.  They could follow the example of the Dorchester LGBT Group and other groups in the Dorchester, Boston, MA community. Events don't have to be large, expensive or complicated.  Meetings could be as simple as hosting a movie screening or having some refreshments while enjoying conversation.  Advertise and create as many opportunities as possible for the betterment of students - for the betterment of all. Events can be about making changes on campus, LGBTQQ related political issues, and LGBTQQ health - mental and physical.  They can also be about getting to know your fellow students and making friends.

I promise myself all the time that I will take a look back as things get better in my life and try to lend a helping hand to those like myself.  I'm talking about everyone that is simple looking for a connection or maybe just needs the right person to talk to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment