Sunday, September 7, 2014

Gay in Dorchester - Project Right

On Thursday September 14th 2014 I went to visit Project R.I.G.H.T on 340A Blue Hill ave Dorchester MA. Included in the many programs they have at this organization is a gay straight alliance. I had to find out 2 things: 1. Is there really a group of LGBT and straight people meeting every Thursday evening? 2. What are they like? It was time to investigate. I thought maybe the gay straight alliance and the Dorchester LGBT group could collaborate one day. www.DorchesterLGBT.com

After being greeted by Nicole Thomas I was told immediately that the program may not be what I expected. Most people that attend are kids as young as 16 going all the way up to age 26, straight and are interested in talking about a variety of issues not necessarily sexual orientation or gender identity issues.

During my first, and probably not my last visit we started out by introducing ourselves. We said our name, age, and as well as 1 of 3 things, gay, straight or mine your business. I was the only gay man there. Going forward, we started talking about a recent suicide in the community and how to help people cope with tragedies like these. We talk about violence in the community, the safey of the students in our schools and how it relates to sexual and physical abuse. We talked about the negative impacts of having middle school and high school students share the same facilities. We discussed gangs.

Unfortunately I did not find what I was looking for. But I was not dispointed. It was nice seeing a younger crowd talk about how things have been effecting them and to gain more perspective. I learned a lot and only wish the group was larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment